Implementation 2: University of Wollongong - Journalism
Student reflective journals through blogs
In this activity learners created a collection of news stories using a blog in a first year journalism course. The activity introduced students to blogging as a form of journalism and provided a context for developing their research and writing skills.
The activity involved students in first year journalism establishing and maintaining a blog in which they published news stories about their suburb. Each student developed a news and resource blog for their local area that included:
- Three current news stories (300 words each)
- Two short profiles of local people (400 words each)
- A set of links to local resources (400 words)
- A description of the local area that included a brief history and description of local attractions and/or problems (400 words)
- Photographic elements that enhanced entries
These were the minimum requirements and students were encouraged to add other elements to give their blog a focus and sense of particular identity. The blog comprised 50% of the assessment for the subject.